Couple of free tools to find out what people are searching for right now.
Google autocomplete shows what you might be wanting to search for based on what you’ve typed so far.
Google Trends is another good tool,
Other useful Google tools:
- Google Analytics: Find out which keywords have driven traffic.
- Google Webmaster Tools: See what searches show your pages in the results.
- Google Insights: If you’re launching an event, you can look back at similar events in the past and see how people searched – comparing search terms, search volumes etc. For example, comparing searches for “fifa world cup” in 2006 and 2010.
Other real-time search data
Here are couple of others:
- Yahoo Buzz (UK): Accurate but often too celebrity focussed.
- AOL hot searches: Under the top 5 they have lists for products, people, TV, health etc. It’s not updated very often however.
I have used Hitwise before and although a week behind you can see fast moving search terms, top retail search terms etc. Worth taking a look at weekly to spot trends
Finally there is Twitter. What people tweet now, other people search for later. So look at what’s trending. You can use services like Trendsmap to see what’s trending where.